Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The story of O my word!

I just finished up reading The Story of O by Pauline Reage. In a nutshell, the book tells of the descent of a young french girl into the hidden world of hardcore BDSM. It clears up any misconceptions that one may have of bondage and slavery when one realises its about giving up ones self in full to the power of another or possessing another in their entirety that the submissive no longer can be treated as a human being, but more a living piece of property somewhere between an animal and a person. Its not really about pain and the joy that follows when pain ends, as I had previously thought - rather pain is an instrument to fortify the relationship dynamics. Needless to say I don't get it personally, as I have never before found myself shouting aloud "Stupid girl!" at a book. Although I wouldn't say no to a personal assistant who organised my life for me, but in a purely non sexual way :P

7 comments:

Champagne Heathen said...

So THAT'S what that book was all about. I remember being a teenager and kinda just skipping to the good bits.

You should also watch 9 1/2 weeks from the same perspective... that it is about Power, not Kim Bassinger getting a great ravishing. Although, she does. In one disturbing way.

Unknown said...

Why do all the best rude euphemisms start with R - ravishing, rodgering, romping etc? Have you seen the movie Secretary with Magie Gyllenhaal and James Spader? It is incredibly good: funny, sexy and absurd. Not to mention accurate.

arcadia said...

i find bdsm-culture fascinating. and yes, secretary is an absolute must-see.

sarah said...

hi trig! its been ages! i am loving japan - it still scares me on occasion - like today i am going to an onsen with all the teachers in my school. for a country that dies when someone shows cleavage, the whole getting naked together is a little too common ;p at least there are male and female mountain springs. or else i would die. how was your japanese experience?

Anonymous said...

I enjoy biting people. And being bitten. *blush*
Does that make me a BDSM person? hehe

I'm thinking it's kinda weird that everyone seems to be blogging again. Although I'm still attending regular Facebook-Anonymous classes.

arcadia said...

where are you?

Unknown said...

Knock-knock! Are you still out there?