Thursday, February 14, 2008

London

Okay, I'm in London now - please accept that as my useless excuse for not blogging this time - in the meantime, I will think up new creative excuses:P

I've been here 2 weeks now and living in limbo as I do the job interview thing and wade my way through the evil maze of british beauracracy to get a bank account, national insurance regisatration etc. On the plus side, my mind has plenty time to wander, and I will blog some of those thoughts. Otherwise London is so far going more-or-less as I expected it would be - cold weather (but mercifully no rain has made it quite pleasant actually, as I was budgeting on next seeing the sun in May...), meeting up with friends (and finding out the ones that I thought I would be seeing a lot of, aren't really interested, but having other people I never considered beforehand, to be really amazing to me - I guess thats always the story...).

I can't really travel at the moment because I need to interview on short notice, so I really need to be here! Thus a planned trip to Greece got nixed and I doubt I will be able to go to Poland next month either. I am at the serious stage of interviewing with 2 companies at the moment and hopefully one will materialise into an offer - thats not bad going after 2 weeks, but it really is a slap of ice cold water in the face compared to what I knew of in SA where I could interview with a company and have an offer in writing the next day - here I have no idea who my competition are (in SA, there generally was none and in the slight chance I wasn't the only candidate, I probably knew who the other candidates were and knew how to devise a strategy to come out best - i'm in the dark here) and the interviewing process is very rigorous - my 2nd interview with a company was 4 hours long.

My other problem is I can't 'read' english people - they have zero emotion and even less body languague on offer to try gaugue anything. If this was an episode of Star Trek, the alien race are using emotion scrambler devices on me so I cant decipher their thoughts and feelings. It could just be that Saffers are just more demonstrative...

I guess all hinges on getting a job - then I can travel, get a real place, get a home PC, a mobile, buy stuff in pounds and not obsess over the fact that a Marks & Spencer's salmon sandwich just cost me R50 etc.

Hmmm, this post sounds real bla, but really it just reflects my tentative situation. I don't like these open ends - maybe I am a control freak afterall, lol. I knows its temporary and should resolve itself pretty soon, but I feel like I am waiting at the starting line of a race, and the linesman forgot where he put the starting gun. Damn you starting-linesman-without-gun man!

Anyways I shall check out what I missed in blog-land real soon, its just my internet time is fairly limited these days. Hope you are all well :)

4 comments:

Champagne Heathen said...

So good to have you back writing! Even if you are now a million miles away.

arcadia said...

yay, you're back!

lovely and sunny here!

Triggermap said...

Thanks guys - will try to be more regular once i get my own PC

Unknown said...

Wait. What? Woah.



You're actually alive. I'd given up on you, triggermap. And then today I thought I'd just sing by for nostalgia's sake... and behold! Three new posts!



I'm glad you're still alive.